Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Thing #5

It took me a while, but I finished the Flickr assignment. I posted two general pictures that had to do with the Accelerated Reader Program because I am working on a staff training PPT about the program and thought that the pictures may be helpful there.

There was one additional picture that I found that I did not post because copyright permission was not available for it, from what I could tell -- I did not access it through the Creative Commons. However, it was a noteworthy to me because it was a picture of a room full of AR books for an after-school program. Apparently, students participating in the program get a snack, exercise time, literacy tutoring, and access to a room with access to AR books to read and to computers to take AR quizzes. My assistant principal was interested in me helping to apply for the Even Start After School Program, so I wanted to make note of any related ideas.

There were some beautiful pictures on Flickr about libraries and books. Mostly, I loved some pictures about the ruins of the library in Alexandria and also of a modern library in Canada. I like the accessibility of the pictures of a wide range of topics but did note that availability was limited to whatever tags the creators added to their pictures.

I would be interested to know what labels others used to find pictures related to elementary school library programs.

1 comment:

VWB said...

glad to see you moving forward...there is still plenty of time!

regarding your copyrighted picture...you could contact the owner by email (should be available thru his/her link) to see if he/she would allow you to use the picture for educational purposes...I was able to get use that way for one of mine...and i know some other folks were successful obtaining permission.

if the picture is that perfect for your needs, it might be worth an email...the worst that could happen is the owner says no!